Article extracted from USANA Australia Magazine 2014
1. Vitamin D – If you’re deficient in vitamin D (which one in three Australians appear to be ) one of the many side effects could be a slowed down metabolism. Vitamin D helps the body absorb bone-building calcium and is needed throughout life. On-going research also suggests that vitamin D may also play an important role in boosting muscle strength as well as maintaining a healthy immune system and healthy immune system and healthy skin.
So, taking a vitamin D supplement daily may help.
USANA Supplements wise: Find vitamin D in HealthPak, Essentials and Vitamin D.
2. Omega-3s – they are powerful anti-inflammatories that may help boost blood flow to the muscles which makes for faster recovery. USANA’s Dr John Cuomo views omega-3s as a secret weapon where toning up is concerned.
The Australian Heart Association recommends that we all aim for two serves of oily fish per week whilst choosing omega-3 rich foods and a good quality fish oil. Walnuts, flax seed, chia seeds, and algae-based products provide vegetarian sources of omega-3s.
USANA Supplements wise: Biomega (which contains good concentration of DHA and EPA) and is completely FREE of mercury and pesticide residues.
3. Vitamin C – Dr John Cuomo says: “Vitamin C is responsible for the health of the blood vessels, which supports muscles’ needs for oxygen and nutrients.” It’s also needed to make collagen which your body uses to make bones. Your body can only store small amounts of this water-soluble vitamin so take some everyday. Good food sources includes fruits especially citrus fruits and berries, and vegetables such as capsicum.
USANA Supplements wise: Poly C, Proflavanol C100
4. Calcium – Most of your body’s calcium is stored in the bones and getting enough is vital for the health of your bones and teeth throughout life. When you relax and contract your muscles, calcium is involved in their contraction. Calcium helps your muscle fibres grow as you get leaner and and stronger.
Good food sources include low-fat dairy products, fortified soy products, nuts (especially almonds) and leafy green vegetables. Magnesium and vitamin D are both needed for your body to absorb calcium.
USANA Supplements wise: Active Calcium Plus and Active Calcium Chewable. Both contain added magnesium and vitamin D.
Your body can absorb 500 to 600 mg of calcium at a time so divide your calcium supplements and take with meals.
5. Magnesium – If you are lifting weights, think about magnesium which is important for your muscles – including your heart muscle – to contract and relax. Some exercise experts also recommend this mineral for easing muscle cramps and soreness. Good food sources include nuts, whole grains and legumes.
USANA Supplements wise: Active Calcium Plus and Active Calcium Chewable.
6. Procosamine – Weight bearing exercise can put a strain on your joints and ligaments. So if your joints are feeling the pressure, there is a lot you can do. For example, opt for healthy diet (getting to a healthy weight range is essential if you are overweight as it takes a massive amount of pressure off the joints, especially weight-bearing joins like the knees and hips).
The University of Sydney’s Professor David Hunter says, ” Eighty per cent of knee osteoarthritis can be prevented if we adequately address overweight and obesity in our community and we prevent join injuries from happening. And that will have a huge impact long-term of preventing this diseases.”
USANA Supplements wise: Try Prcosamine which contains glucosamine, a component of cartilage and the potent anti-inflammatory effects of Meriva curcumin.
7. B Vitamins – The B group of vitamins is needed for a range of functions from producing healthy blood and muscle, energy and protein metabolism and for breaking down fats and carbohydrates.
How much? Most people consume adequate of the B vitamins through their diets, as these vitamins are found in foods such as whole grains, eggs, lean meats, legumes, nuts, leafy greens. However, B12 is only found in animal sources, so vegetarians and vegans may want to consider taking a supplement or using fortified foods and drinks to obtain 2.4 micro-grams daily.
USANA Supplements wise: Try USANA Essentials or HealthPak.