Article extracted from USANA Australia Magazine 2014
What do we want? Good health and happiness for the family, chocolate, a bit of extra cash, a few extra hours in every day, to lose a few kilos, boosted energy and skin that glows like Cate Blanchet’s. Well, that’s not much to ask for, is it? Being short on time and focussing on the family means many mums put themselves last. But looking after yourself is essential – the family relies on it!
Start with breakfast
You literally break the overnight fast with the first meal of the day – it also kick-starts your metabolism. Skipping breakfast prolongs your body’s fasting state and if you do it regularly, you may slow down your body’s metabolism as it tries to conserve energy. Over time, this can lead to weight gain.
Enter USANA Nutrimeal
Low GI is king. And, choosing low GI foods for breakfast especially when combined with protein and fibre is ideal. This combo is especially important in the morning when you break your overnight fast.
Again, it’s down to the way your body handles insulin. Levels of insulin tend to be low in early morning but once you’re awake, your body ramps up insulin secretion to metabolise the glucose released by your body to help you get going.
Some studies have shown that GI values actually change over the day. So, when different foods were tested for the GI value, scientists found that the same food eaten later in the day prompted a lower glucose response. So a high protein, low GI breakfast is especially important.
The US National Weight Control Registry which collects a large amount of information about weight losers and their habits found that in people who had lost around 14kg or so, a massive 90 per cent of those who had kept it off for a year ate breakfast on most days of the week.
Choose a quick-to-make breakfast that’s low GI/high protein plus contains little satisfying fat such as:
- Heavy, grainy toast with peanut butter
- Yoghurt with fruit
- Scrambled eggs with toast and tomato
- Porridge oats with blueberries
USANA Nutrimeal is a great choice. With all of the nutrients – protein, healthy fat and low GI carbohydrates that you’d expect from a healthy meal, it takes just a few minutes to mix up in a blender bottle. If you have a little more time to spare, blend it with some frozen berries for a tasty, nutrient-packed meal in a glass. Or, pour into a leak proof water bottle and enjoy when you can.
Replace two meals a day and you’re on your way!
Because USANA Nutrimeal is strictly portion and calories controlled, replaced two meals per day with USANA Nutrimeal can help you to lose weight – as long as your third meal is a healthy, calories controlled one!
And, it’s not a short-term fix – long-term follow up studies show that meal replacements like USANA Nutrimeal may actually help people stay within their new lower weight range.
Eating and energy
Mums need boundless energy so you’ll need to eat smarter! Choose:
- Lots of veggies and fruits
- Wholegrains most of the time
- Fish – especially oily fish – two to three times per week
- Lean meat and/or vegetarian proteins such as pulses and tofu (not fried)
- Plenty of water – choose foods with high water content too. If you’re feeling sluggish, it could be from dehydration as fatigue is a common symptom of this. So a good first step in the fight for grater wakefulness is to drink some H20.
Low GI less processed carbohydrates are best because they’re:
- Packed with nutrients
- Provide long-lasting energy
- Help keep you fuller for longer
High GI simple carbohydrates are not a good choice as they can:
- Leave you hungry for more
- Are mostly empty calories
- Provide only short-lived energy.
Find time for you
Mum’s put the family first leaving little time for themselves. But finding some you time is important, boosting the sense of self-control and self-esteem. You are doing something positive for your health and over time, boosting your physical health.
Weight-bearing exercise for example helps to strengthen the bones, aerobic exercise strengthens the heart and lungs and weight lifting and aerobic exercise helps to replace body fat with muscle for a leaner, shapelier shape that you can be proud of. Yoga and Tai chi also help you to focus your breathing helping you feel calmer.
Exercise – more benefits
According to the Black Dog Institute exercise can lift mood and even treat depression. How?
1. Raising your energy levels – so you feel better able to cope with daily tasks
2. Providing distraction from concerns – it’s only you and your body so exercise with some upbeat buddies
3. Exercise but do something you like so you’ll be much more likely to stick with it. Make it a long term health boost
4. Work out on an empty stomach in the morning and your body goes directly into the fat stores for energy. Then, enjoy a deliciously healthy brekkie.
What’s with the mum tum?
Whether it’s caused by work, friends, family or even food-related villains (coffee and sugar are common culprits) stress triggers the release of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol causes you to lay down weight, particularly around the middle.
A weight-loss program that helps you lose half to one kilogram per week is more likely to be kept off. Try replacing one or two meals per day with a USANA Nutrimeal switching down to one per day and two healthy meals and healthy snacks when you reach your healthy weight range.
Get some rest
Sleep can be at a premium especially with baby or young child. But sleep is so important for health of body and mind. Lack of sleep can not only leave you feeling exhausted, it can also trigger the release of a hormone called ghrelin which is associated with hunger. Lack of sleep stimulates the pleasure centres in the brain to seek out high-energy foods so you crave a fast sugar hit followed by an insulin low and so the vicious cycle goes on.
Great skin basics
A balanced diet full of whole foods and high in fibre, fruits, vegetables and protein sources is best. Also make sure you get regular exercise – stretch and take a walk every day. Get trash air, sleep with your window open and breathe deep long breaths.
Essential fatty acids are great for skin. Fish oil (USANA Biomega) in particular helps hydrate it, as does flaxseed oil. Sprinkle some freshly ground flaxseeds (USANA Optomega) or some walnuts to a bowl of breakfast cereal with berries.
Lots of nutrients interact with one another to boost the look and texture of your body’s largest organ, your skin.
Here are just some of the nutrients
1. Vitamin C promotes collagen-production and improves skin tone helping skin to stay smooth. Vitamin C is very prone to oxidation and many C containing cosmetic products lose their potency fast. Find long lasting potent vitamin C in USANA Poly C and in USANA Proflavanol C100
2. Beta carotene (which is converted into vitamin A in the body as the body needs it) aids healing and the creation of new skin tissue, vitamin E, a powerful fat-soluble antioxidant which protects against free radical damage inside the skin and zinc for smooth, supple skin. Find all of these in USANA Essentials and USANA HealthPak
3. Grape seed extract is a high-potency antioxidant which protects the skin from free radicals, zinc repairs and strengthens tissue.
4. Zinc and Omega 3 for smooth, plumped skin – find it in the excellent sustainably sourced BiOmegaTM.
WE LOVE MUMS!
Happy mother’s day!
Parenthood is full on, but exercise can actually boost flagging energy levels. You will feel better and able to cope with daily tasks!
A balanced diet full of whole foods and high in fibre, fruits, vegetables and protein sources is best.